Thursday, March 22, 2012

But how much did you LOVE?


Last week we delivered balloons to a sister who just had surgery.
It made me so happy! I mean, I don't think there's anyone, no matter
the age that can look at a balloon and not think about happiness.

As we were carting these balloons around town (and getting some interesting looks, I might add ), I started thinking about the things we do out of love. Love is an amazing motivator that can get us to things we wouldn't think of doing otherwise. I really can't recall a time that I bought myself a bouquet of balloons (although it's not that bad of an idea). BUT, as my companion and I were strolling out to the truck, I couldn't help but feel that the happy face balloon was the greatest thing I've seen all day (and possibly all week)! With bad weather and sicknesses going around, we needed a good dose of sunshine. Little did we think that we could feel so much “sunshine” from such a little act.

As we handed over the balloons to this dear sister and friend, I couldn't help but feel even deeper love for this wonderful woman I have met. Sure, we could have been knocking on doors or teaching people, but there was nothing else better we could have been doing at that moment. It was a moment when I truly came to feel the pure love of Christ for a fellow daughter of God.

So often the world makes us believe that we have to attain social status or wealth to be happy. We feel that only things that give us praise of men is worthwhile. However, these are Satan's distractions from the TRUE meaning of life. Christ has taught us that the most important commandment is “to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these”

I heard a story the other day about someone who had a near death experience. He saw a light (as is common with near-death experiences), and he saw a man standing there. The man who was having the experience began to start listing all of his worldly accomplishments and wealth to the man, hoping it would show what a good man he was. The man in the dream replied, “I don't care about that. My question is, how much did you love?” The man woke up and his life was changed forever. No longer did he care about his material possessions. Instead, he focused on loving.

I'm grateful for the loving and humble example of our Savior. When He was on the earth, He didn't receive fame or glory. He was born in the humblest of circumstances. He was despised and rejected. However, He continued to love- even those who hated Him.

I'm gratetful for the blessed opportunity I have to love deeper than I've loved before. To serve more than I've ever served before. But most of all, to come to see my fellow brothers and sisters as my Heavenly Father sees them: with pure and complete love.

I wanted to share some of my absolute favorite pictures with you, to help you visualize the love the Savior has for YOU and for all of the people around you: your neighbor, the woman who checks out your groceries at the store, even the person who cuts you off while you're driving.

May we all strive to have deeper love in our hearts for those around us. Let us serve them and help them; that we may be the hands of the Savior- doing what He would do if He were personally ministering among us.





No comments:

Post a Comment